Search This Blog

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sunday Funnies 151108

The Sunday Funnies theme of the week is faith and ...:

faith and begorrah: This is a kind of amalgam of two phrases originating in this transition period.
The first one was used to precede some strong assertion and would have translated as something like 'By my Faith..' (meaning, by my Christian religion). The second part ('Begorrah') probably originated as follows: being reluctant to say 'By God..' , the common people said something like 'by Gor' , pronouncing it 'Be Gor' , which in time became 'Begorrah'.

faith and blarney: This is a newly minted expression (I just made it up today.) that expresses the thread of content which led me to include the following comics and cartoons this edition of Sunday Funnies.


Enjoy!

1. Faith In Technology




2. Faith In The Electorate




3. Notable Faith Factoid




4. A Weighty Religious Conundrum




5. Striking A Balance Between Faith And Good Works




6. What's In Your Wallet?




7. Blind Faith - A Political Pipe Dream




8. Venial Vulgate Or Veritable Vernacular?




9. A Long Time Ago In An Administration Far, Far Away




10. Faith Healer

Keep The Faith, Baby! - Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.

Those who remember Powell's penchant for playing fast and loose with facts about his ancestry will understand the connection.

11. A Confession, Faithful Reader...

This last comic shows why I almost didn't publish a Sunday Funnies this week. So many of the comics, cartoons, and editorial images that came my way were about the antics and stupidity of the GOP presidential wannabes, and I didn't want to keep beating a deceased equine quadruped. However, I didn't want to break faith with you, so I decided to poke fun at a sacred cow instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment