Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thar She Breaches!

We went whale-watching off the coast of Washington in the San Juan Islands yesterday. I got lucky and caught 82-year-old orca matriarch, Ocean Sun, showing off for the cameras.



We're visiting our middle son, David, in Seattle. Yesterday the three of us went on a whale-watching tour to the San Juan Islands. Orcas have unique saddle markings, which can be used like fingerprints to identify individuals. One of the crew members ID'd the whale as Ocean Sun from a still photo someone else had taken.

I have tons of pictures and movies of dorsal fins coming up above the surface and disappearing again. There were some other jumps, but they were too far away for my little, ol' Canon S5IS to get a good shot. I just got lucky and was able to swing my camera and catch the one which jumped close to our boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment