Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sunday Funnies 140921


The Sunday Funnies word of the week is vocation, and the related phrase is works for me:
vo-ca-tion |vōˈkā sh ən|nouna strong feeling of suitability for a particular career or occupation not all of us have a vocation to be nurses or doctors.• a person's employment or main occupation, esp. regarded as particularly worthy and requiring great dedication her vocation as a poet.• a trade or profession.ORIGIN late Middle English from Old French, or from Latin vocatio(n-), from vocare ‘to call.’
Inf. It is fine with me. (With stress on works and me. The answer to a question implying Does it work for you?) Bob: Is it okay if I sign us up for the party? Sally: It works for me.Tom: Is Friday all right for the party? Bill: Works for me. Bob: It works for me too.
See also: work
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Two practical examples of works for me
1. The meeting time you proposed is not yet blocked out in my calendar.
Tuesday at 11? Works for me.
2. The joke you sent me may prove offensive or incomprehensible to persons from other geographical regions, but because I am from California, I find it funny.
A guy walks into a bar in Alabama and orders awhite wine. All the hillbillies sitting around the bar look up, expecting to see some pitiful Yankee from the north. The bartender says, “You ain’t from around here, are ya?” The guy says, “No, I’m from Canada.” The bartender says, “What do you do in Canada?”The guy says, “I’m a taxidermist.” The bartender says, “A taxidermist? What in tarnation is a taxidermist? Do you drive a taxi?” “No, a taxidermist doesn’t drive a taxi. I mount animals.” Thebartender grins and hollers, “It’s okay boys. He’s one of us.”
This week's word and related phrase open the door to a wide-ranging examination of what it means to be called into a line of work as well as the nature of the work to which one has been called.

1. When one's calling has been recalled...  



2. A Congressional Jobs Program with Bipartisan Support



3. Punditry for Fun and Profit (as seen on FOX "News")



4. It helps to have a hand in the game.



5. It may work for them, but it won't work for the rest of us.



6. Is there a job performance penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct?



7. A Job-Well-Done by the US Air Force (Works for me. Would that it were so.)

Oh! And, guys, try not to get too much sand in your shorts. It will make you even more cranky than you already are.

8. Definitely the Right Man for the Job



9. Do your job when your dog does its job. You'll be paid when you're called.



10. American Healthcare Professionals' Inaction

Read that title again...carefully this time. Oh! And forget about working for a cure, we specialize in selling band-aids designed to mask the symptoms. That business model has a much bigger profit margin.

11. A Show Business Career with Job Security



12. Vocation? Success or failure often boils down to Location, Location, Location.


No comments:

Post a Comment