Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2009

Disabusing Rep. Boehner of Ignorance





October 01, 2009
Categories: Health Care

Boehner hasn't met "anyone" who backs public option


House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) has just more or less dared proponents of a public option to bombard his office with their expressions of support of the plan.
Boehner claimed, with a semi-straight face, that he has yet to meet a regular "American" who favors the option -- despite polls showing that a majority of voters support to the idea of having the choice of a government plan.

"I'm still trying to find the first American to talk to who's in favor of the public option, other than a member of Congress or the administration" said Boehner, whose sole recent foray into a public discussion of health care reform was a tea-party-style event in Ohio a few weeks back.

"I've not talked to one and I get to a lot of places," he told reporters at his weekly press availability. "I've not had anyone come up to me -- I know I'm inviting them -- and lobby for the public option .
"This is about as unpopular as a garlic milkshake."

I then asked him: "Isn't a garlic milkshake healthy?" to which he replied, "I don't know I haven't tried it."

The polls are actually pretty divided on the issue, with a SurveyUSA poll showing three-quarters of Americans backing a public option choice. But that number dropped to 43 percent when the option was portrayed as a mandatory component of the plan in an NBC/WSJ survey.

By Glenn Thrush 12:12 PM

Upon reading Glenn Thrush's article, I sent this message to Rep. Boehner:

Mr. Boehner,

It is obvious to me that you take your role as House Minority Leader very seriously. Unfortunately, it appears that to you that means listening only to the minority of Ohioans who oppose a public health care option rather than the majority which favors it.

How else is one to understand your recent comment to the effect that you have not spoken to anyone who wants a public option?

Although I do not live in your congressional district, I am an Ohioan, and I am in that majority which favors a public option.

Since we have not actually "spoken," however, I'm fairly confident that you will repeat your disingenuous comment as you advocate for ideological purity at the expense of the health and well-being of the people of Ohio and the nation

George A. Denino

If you wish to respond to Mr. Boehner's challenge, you may send your personal message at this link:

Note: I included my full address and phone number in my message, but I omitted that information here for what should be obvious reasons.

Finally, here's the reply I received, and which you will get, from Rep. Boehner's office:

Thank you for contacting the Office of the House Republican Leader. Your thoughts are important to me and are appreciated. Due to the volume of E-mail I receive, it may not be possible to personally respond to your comments. However, please be assured that your comments are important to me and my colleagues.

Sincerely,

John A. Boehner
Republican Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment