Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

America The Beautiful or America The Bigoted?

She stands on Liberty Island looking out across the Atlantic, the poem below emblazoned on her base.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
–Emma Lazarus (from "The New Colossus")

Most people call her "The Statue Of Liberty," but she has an official name. It is "Liberty Enlightening The World." But from what I've seen and heard coming from supposedly intelligent Americans lately, I'm beginning to think she may be facing the wrong way.

How does one gently but firmly tell conservatives that they are ignorant bigots when they threaten to boycott Coke because it dared to air a Super Bowl commercial featuring from foreign lands singing "America The Beautiful" in languages other than English?

Watch this video, and learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment