Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Let there be light!

My wife and I have enjoyed the first season of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. Last evening we watched the season's final episode, Unafraid of the Dark, which I believe is a must see for anyone who is capable of thought in today's America.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is a scientist, who revels in the rush that comes from learning something new. In the Cosmos series, he explores the wonder and majesty of what science has revealed to humans about the workings of the universe and how our understanding of the size and nature of that universe has changed.

A major theme in the series explores the tendency for human beings to reject newly discovered facts about the universe when those facts contradict cherished and long-held beliefs. Tyson does not exempt the scientific community from this tendency. In fact, he discusses instances where famous scientists dismissed or thwarted the acceptance of new discoveries which they feared would undermine their reputations.

Tyson's describes science as "a way to keep from fooling ourselves and each other;" and, in the final episode, he offers the single, most-important assessment of the very real danger we face if we allow science to be trumped by political ideology, misguided religious fervor, and greed.

Can you say, "Denying what we've known for over a century about rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide can lead to the earth becoming uninhabitable?"

I knew you could.

With that in mind, I posted the following to my Facebook page.

Two comments and a link:

1. If you have not watched the new Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey series with Neil deGrasse Tyson, shame on you.
2. If I could make every American watch only one of the episodes, it would be the season finale.
Click the link below to watch it.

* * *
It appears as if today is a day to discuss matters of universal important; for shortly thereafter, I discovered that a friend had shared this image on his Facebook page:


The result was a thread of comments between me and a friend, Mark, who happens to be a minister:

Me: Could it be that we're not quite as important as we like to think we are?

Mark: Right on, George! And a closer study of the Bible would show that Christians believe that as well. According the Bible, the universe was created for His pleasure, not ours. Just saying...

Me: And the pleasure to which we are entitled for being part of that universe comes from exercising the freedom to learn everything we can about it.


(at this point I copy/pasted the introduction to today's blog post)

Mark: I've been putting them on DVR. Trying to find the time to sit and watch. My only first impression from the little bit that I've seen is that deGrasse seems to be more focused on pitching the "there's no god" philiosophy than Sagan was. I understand that Sagan was a vehement atheist but when I watched the show he hosted I didn't see that. I saw his simple fascination with the universe and how it works. That doesn't really require a theological position to enjoy. I'm looking forward to catching up with the rest of the new show!

Me: I think you'll like it. Your assessment of Sagan's fascination with the workings of the universe is accurate.
I think that you will find that Tyson's presentation is also based on that same fascination, but it also responds to an anti-science political element in today's America, which is cynically misusing religion to undermine the pursuit of any scientific knowledge which contradicts its ideology.

The following, transcribed from the program, sums up this point:

"It's OK not to know all the answers. It's better to admit our ignorance than to believe answers that might be wrong. Pretending to know everything closes the door to finding out what's really there."

* * *
Oh! Did I mention this?

1. If you have not watched the new Cosmos: A Spacetime Oddyssey series with Neil deGrasse Tyson, shame on you.
2. If I could make every American watch only one of the episodes, it would be the season finale.

Click the link below to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment